Reporting to: Church Council - Primary Liaison is Council President
St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church (SALC) is a seeking a qualified candidate or company to serve as the Communications Coordinator, which is a part-time, contract position within the church. This position is responsible for supporting and advising on the communications strategy for SALC. In this role, the Communications Coordinator will manage the live-streaming of Sunday church services, develop website content, manage social media, help to write key publications, and gather stories and photos that document the work of SALC. This position is an active part of the church’s communication strategy and implementation for engaging all members of the congregation in a variety of ways.
Website & Social Media Content
- Develop new content and maintain website.
- Write new stories, create new pages, and solicit updates from the council and congregation.
- Update the calendar to include postings about future events.
- Maintain protected, members’ only areas of the website to include the membership directory and other pieces.
- Write and manage the content for email-distributed newsletters and convert to printed version for members without internet access.
- Work with website design vendors to implement design changes to the website.
- Develop and manage social media content on all appropriate channels (primarily Facebook at this time).
- Develop and assist with the production of electronic and printed materials for distribution. This is a collaborative process with the church’s existing secretary. This includes:
- Sunday bulletins and announcements (printed and electronic for live-streaming)
- Congregational brochures
- Flyers about church events
- Annual Report
- Brochures, fact sheets, etc.
- Maintain the church’s photo library by taking photos and gathering photos from members to capture the work of the church
- Develop and edit video content for use on the website and in social media. This includes the posting and distribution of Sunday services and other activities.
- Design ads, flyers, banners, brochures, fact sheets, event signage, invitations, etc. as needed.
- Maintain and update as needed the live streaming capabilities of the church for Sunday services and other activities as needed.
- Provide regular training to congregational volunteers to assist with live streaming set up and management.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in English, journalism, communications or related field required.
- Alignment and understanding with the mission and vision of SALC.
- Demonstrated ability to write communications pieces for an organization, including press releases, newsletters, website content, etc. including the proper sourcing of images.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Publisher and PowerPoint
- Strong knowledge of Google product offerings, including Google Docs, Sheets, Gmail and Calendar
- Basic computer and technology knowledge with experience live-streaming via OBS, and video editing (currently use Movavi)
- Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms
- Experience with web content management systems and ChMS. Tithe.ly experience a bonus.
- Strong photography and videography skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The individual must be self-motivated and committed to workplace participation and diversity with the ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to juggle many projects and meet deadlines.
- Work expected to be around 25-30 hours per month.
- Will coordinate with the incumbent to determine a period of time each week of approximately 24-48 hours where they are not expected be available, outside of emergency circumstances. This will be established ahead of time.
- Time off can be requested with appropriate advance notice, except in extenuating circumstances. Time off will not be paid.
- Will work with the incumbent to establish a system of priorities in order to help with prioritization of projects and communications. For example:
- Emergency – such as a death in the congregation, last minute need to adjust worship schedule – communication with in hours
- Medium Priority – Updates to be sent out, can wait between 24-48 hours
- Low Priority – Update can be sent out sometime within the week, possibly paired with other communications
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and work samples to Audra Blasdel, Council VP, at email@example.com.